Of the many issues affecting the marine environment today, we believe that climate change, overfishing, habitat loss, and pollution are the most significant.
Programmatically, we currently organize Oceankind’s work in three broad categories:
Globally, our conservation portfolio is centered around efforts to reduce overfishing, establish protected areas and other habitat safeguards, and reduce pollution. Oceankind seeks to support the work of our partners in advancing ocean conservation at scale in each of these arenas. We do not have a particular geographic focus.
Climate change is increasingly the most significant threat to ocean ecosystems. The marine conservation community has an important role to play in combating climate change by reducing emissions associated with maritime industries (shipping, ocean energy), enhancing sequestration, and improving the resilience of marine and coastal ecosystems.
In addition to supporting marine conservation and elevating ocean-climate solutions, Oceankind is also committed to advancing equity in our movement and supporting local partners. To advance innovation in ocean health, our Labs Initiative supports several technologies with potentially broad applications across our programmatic focus areas.
In pursuing these programs, Oceankind employs two basic approaches. First, our standard grantmaking approach centers on advancing critical policies. Second, our Labs Initiative seeks to accelerate the development of promising conservation technologies.
Oceankind is dedicated to advancing the work of leading nonprofits focused on marine conservation. Within the field of marine conservation NGOs, we seek to:
- Invest in lean, strategic organizations and exceptional leaders with the potential to play a stronger foundational role in the marine conservation community globally.
- In collaboration with funding partners, contribute to results-oriented, time-bound campaigns of global conservation significance.
- Scale proven, applied conservation technology through policy drivers.
Oceankind – Labs Initiative
Our Labs Initiative is dedicated to advancing promising marine conservation technology.
- We believe novel approaches and technologies can help address many of the global challenges that we face.
- We support scientific and technological advances that have the potential for direct application to marine conservation at scale, and to be part of a future where oceans thrive.
- We work with nonprofits, research institutions, entrepreneurs, investors and funders to shepherd these advances from the earliest stages in the lab out to real use cases in the ocean.